Monday, October 11, 2010

This Land Is Your Land, This Land is My Land

I'm a long way away (18 states, to be exact) from having visited all 50 states, but I'm still so jealous of photographer Carol Highsmith's undertaking in her 21st-Century America Project.  As part of the project, Highsmith will photograph the country, state by state, capturing the cities, towns and countryside of 21st-century America, and the life of its people.  The whole project is expected to take an amazingly ambituous 16 years.  She's donating her pictures to the Library of Congress, and you can find them here.

She's already finished Alabama, which she shot this summer.  I particularly love the way she included both iconic structures (the Pettus bridge in Selma) and everyday places (a candy store in Mobile).  Here are some of my favorites. 


I plan to check in on Highsmith's progress periodically and post highlights as new states are added.  In the meantime, I wonder if Highsmith needs a photographer's assistant?  If so, count me in!

1 comment:

  1. That's a project I'd like to be in on too. Must be fun. Plus she's gotten recognition if they want her pictures in the Library of Congress. Thanks for letting us know about her.

    ReplyDelete