Thursday, August 9, 2012

Songs About Sweaters

Back when I was trying to get psyched up about my impending move from Ann Arbor to Memphis, I put together a playlist of songs about Memphis.  It quickly became one of my favorite collections of songs.  And I was so excited when I walked into my neighborhood grocery stores, Miss Cordelia's, and heard the same songs playing over the loud speaker.  (Off topic: Miss Cordelia's was one of the reasons I liked living in Memphis so much.)  Anyway, that was the start, and since then I've thought it was fun to put together themed playlists: songs about sunshine, songs about highways, songs about dreams, and so on.  It's been a fun way to find new artists and songs. 

My latest and GREATEST?  Songs about sweaters!  I had planned to make this the definitive collection, but it turns out that there are a lot of songs about sweaters!  So let's call this Volume I. 

In no particular order:   (Where I could find a YouTube video, I've included a link below.)  Don't worry, I hadn't heard of most of them either.

--The Sweater, by Meryn Caldwell  [YouTube]
--Undone (The Sweater Song), by Weezer  [YouTube]
--Autumn Sweater, by Yo La Tengo  [YouTube]
--Sweater Song, by Hedley  [YouTube]
--Sweater, by Terry Reid  [YouTube]
--V-Neck Sweater, by Greyboy Allstars  [YouTube]
--Red Sweater, by The Aquabats!  [YouTube]
--Sweater Weather, by The Neighbourhood  [YouTube]
--Blue Sweater, by Poema  [YouTube]
--Sweater Song, by Erin Bode  [YouTube]
--My Sweater, by Susan Justice 
--Varsity Sweater, by Weston  [YouTube]
--Sweaters, by Beth Waters

(from the video for The Sweater, by Meryn Caldwell)

2 comments:

  1. Small world. I live in Memphis, am sick, posted something about finishing a sweater while watching old movies and a music/artist friend posted a link to the Sweater Song. I posted to a link to another and then I saw your list. It's a year later, and I wonder, are you in Memphis? Did we cross paths in a knitting circle? I imagine you've stumbled across the amazing Harbortown knitters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! Thanks so much for your note. I'm sorry for the belated response--I was away for a short time and not keeping up with the blog! I lived in Memphis in 2004 and 2005, but I've sinced moved to Washington, DC. I LOVED living in Memphis and get back at least once a year. As you may have guessed from my post, I lived just down Mud Island from Harbor Town, but sadly I never conntected with a knitting group while I was there.

      Hope you're feeling much, much better!

      Delete