Thursday, May 19, 2011

Blast from the Past

This great print, available from The Photo Zoo takes me straight back to high school when mix tapes were a great gift idea--cheap and personal.

My friends and I all made mixes for each other.  I loved getting them and was always devastated when the tape eventually wore out or broke.  We decorated the inside of the cassette cases with pictures, magazine cutouts, and funny captions to make our own albums of sorts.

I remember mix tapes that reflected our collective high school angst.  There was lots of U2 ("How long, how long must we sing this song?"), Billy Joel ("I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints"), Pat Bentar ("Whatever we deny or embrace, for worse or for better"), REO Speedwagon ("Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore"), Tears for Fears ("Everybody wants to rule the world"). 

But there was a lot of fun stuff too: Wham ("Wake me up before you go-go. Take me dancing tonight."), Culture Club ("Loving would be easy if your colors were like my dreams"), The Bangles ("Ay oh whey oh, ay oh whey oh, walk like an Egyptian"). 

Playlists on iTunes are great, but they just don't have that same personality, do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment