Sunday, July 15, 2012

Street Level: Klingle Road

As you've probably noticed, YHK sweaters are named after streets in Washington, D.C.  Some are major throroughfares through the city and others are little more than back alleys.  I thought it would be fun to explore those streets and share my experiences doing so.  So I'm embarking on a new series called Street Level.  Street Level isn't meant to be an exhaustive portrait of each street, but rather to show you what caught my eye as I walked and drove the streets of D.C.   

Where else to start but Klingle Road, which was the first sweater that I made available in the Etsy shop. 

Klingle Road has been the subject of vigorous debate in D.C. for many years.  The street once connected the neighborhoods of Mount Pleasant and Woodley Park, which made it an important East-West connector.  But a portion of the road was closed in 1991 due to damage caused by storm waters.  Since then, any number of factions have argued over the merits of rebuilding and reopening Klingle Road.  Today the portion at issue remains closed and is now known by some as Klingle Valley, though the debate rages on.









No comments:

Post a Comment