Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Singing in the Rain

Last night, I was on my way home from work, absorbed in my own thoughts, when all of a sudden I heard the sounds of Broadway ringing through the air.  Specifically, I heard someone singing "Defying Gravity" from "Wicked," which is one of my favorite songs.  Intrigued, I stopped to investigate and found out that it was courtesy of the Navy Band, which performs every Tuesday at the Navy Memorial.

I was familiar with the Navy Band's Summer Concert Series, but I always assumed that the concerts featured more traditional "band" music.  But last night seemed to feature Broadway numbers exclusively.  Being the Broadway junkie that I am, I was loving it!  They also did a very elaborate medley of Four Seasons songs from the musical "Jersey Boys," which had everyone singing along.

I was having so much fun and was prepared to abandon my walk home altogether to stay for the rest of the concert, but then it started to rain, and they called the show early.  I didn't think it was raining hard enough to cut it short, but I guess it wasn't very pleasant for the performers.

In the limited time I was there, I realized that the concerts are a delightful way to enjoy a summer evening. I hope to get to another one soon!

(photo courtesy of the U.S. Navy Band)

1 comment:

  1. Happy you enjoyed it! You can find more information on the Navy Band at www.navyband.navy.mil , or you can check out our FB page (usnavyband)

    ReplyDelete